Our team are fortunate to have had a number of clients in the hospitality sector who have often have to seek advice on licencing matters, such as how to obtain permission to serve alcohol at their premises, and what to do if the police are challenging their use or exercise of that licence. We also have clients who are involved in sporting and gambling matters, who also need licencing advice. In particular, Stephanie Kleyman has advised several groups of pubs and night clubs in the area. To date, none of our clients have ever had a licence revoked whilst we have been representing them.
Every licencing matter is dealt with in accordance with rules and regulations of the local authority in which the venue is situated, so it is never possible to give an exact summary of time scales, as these vary from location to location. However, we would usually expect to have a decision on a licence application within three months.
Depending on whether you apply for an on or off license a straight forward application will cost in the region of £2500 (including VAT at 20%) based on an hourly rate of £480 (including VAT at 20%). This is based on either an application for a premises licence or an application to vary an premises licence. If the application is or becomes more complex and/or extends to more than one type of licence (both alcohol and entertainment licenses), then there will be an hourly rate charge of £480 (including VAT at 20%).
An application with medium complexity will cost in the region of £7,000 (including VAT at 20%).
An application with high complexity will cost in the region of £14,000 (including VAT at 20%).
This will include the following:
- taking your instructions
- advising you as to how they can promote the licensing objectives within their application
- advising on the type of plans required to accompany their application
- completing and submitting the application
- disclosing the application to the responsible authorities
- making arrangements for the necessary advertising of the application
This will also include liaising with relevant authorities such as Counsel to identify their requirements and the police to ascertain any objections they may have.
- application fee (payable to licensing authority) varies from £100 to £1,905 (no VAT), depending on the fee band of your revenue
- advertising fee £190 (no VAT)
- enquiry agent fees to display public notices £150-£250 (including VAT at 20%)
- printing additional copies of plans if necessary £5 (including VAT at 20%) each
These fees vary depending on the individual premises and where it is located. The fees can on occasion be higher than the ranges given above. We will give you an accurate figure for each item as soon as we are able to do so.
Matters usually take 12 weeks from receipt of full instructions for you. This is on the basis of this application being relatively straightforward and you being able to provide all the necessary documents promptly. If your matter is more complex, for example, if there is substantial opposition from interested parties, or if there is a delay in receiving the documents we need, it may take longer.
All licensing work will be undertaken by a member of our team. Please see the Meet the Team section of the website for details. We offer a free consultation for up to an hour to enable you to understand the process and costs involved in your matter.
All licensing work will be undertaken by a member of our team.
Persons responsible for the work include:
- Stephanie Kleyman (admitted as a solicitor in 1997)
- Shivani Varma (admitted as a solicitor in 2014)
- Caoimhe Leece (admitted as a solicitor in 2022)
To view their profile, please see the Meet the Team section of the website for details.
We offer a free consultation for up to an hour to enable you to understand the process and costs involved in your licencing matter.
More information on our Licensing service